Summer Reading & Writing Camp for Boys
The Haverford School Summer Reading & Writing Camp is open to any boy entering kindergarten through Grade 5. The program is designed to strengthen the reading and writing abilities of our boys in the summer months, where instructional loss is often most prevalent.
Our six-week, three-hour per day program will focus on creating a love of reading and writing while having boys explore themes that capture their imagination! With a low student-to-teacher ratio, highly qualified teachers will differentiate instruction in order to target the needs of each boy. Included in the program will be:
- Individual progress monitoring, conferencing, and feedback with the boys
- Daily work in the areas of phonics, fluency, comprehension, writing, and word study
- Differentiated instruction based upon the needs of each learner
Whether an emerging or a competent reader or writer, our program will build on your son’s literacy abilities to strengthen his reading and writing skills for the upcoming school year!
Who: Boys entering kindergarten through Grade 5
When: June 27–Aug. 5 (No class on Monday, July 4)
Deposit: $400 payable to The Haverford School to hold your spot
Balance Due: On or before June 1
Please note: Enrollment will close on April 30, 2016.
- Your registration is not complete, and your son’s place cannot be guaranteed without your deposit, registration form, and completed health record.
- In addition, for non-Haverford boys, acceptance into the program is contingent upon passing an admissions screening to be scheduled in early April.
- This is not a week-by-week program. The tuition fee is for a six-week program. Attendance for a minimum of 5 weeks is expected. We do not prorate tuition based on the number of weeks attended.
- If you cancel for any reason after June 1, your deposit will NOT be refunded.
- Regardless of whether or not your son is enrolling in the afternoon ESF camps, the ESF Health History Record 2016 must be completed. The ESF medical staff will be available to Haverford reading campers in the event of an emergency. The Health History Record MUST be reviewed and processed by ESF medical staff PRIOR to your child’s attendance at camp.
- Financial assistance may be available for those who qualify. Please contact Teresa Touey for more information.
- Space is limited, so enrollment is on a first-come, first-served basis. Please be advised that there may be a waiting list.
Looking for a full-day program?
ESF afternoon camp is available to any Haverford Summer Reading & Writing camper looking for a full-day experience at an additional cost. See the links below:
Lower School Reading Specialist
"It was wonderful watching my 'rough-and-tumble, I-want-to-play-outside-15-hours-a-day" boy jump up out of bed each morning eager to get to Haverford. Thank you!"
"We want to express our appreciation and happiness with the summer reading camp. Our son's reading strength grew immensely. When he was leaving he said, 'I am going to miss reading camp!' Wow ... simply amazing. Keep up the great work and promoting the boys' love of reading."