Dear Haverford School Parents and Guardians,
Welcome to the 2023-24 school year! The Haverford School Parents Association (HSPA) is excited to reconnect with our returning friends and welcome all the new families to the upcoming school year. The HSPA is already busy organizing many great things for next year.
Did you know that you are already a member of the HSPA? The HSPA is an amazing group of busy parents and guardians with one thing in common – we strive to make Haverford the best place for our boys and want to make a difference. As HSPA Chair, I hope you will consider being part of our group. No amount of involvement is too little. By volunteering, I know you will reap the same benefits I have encountered from making new friends from all divisions, feeling part of my sons’ Haverford experience, and giving back to The Haverford School. Let’s come together and make the 2023-24 school year the best experience possible for our boys, parents, faculty, and staff.
If you are curious about how to get involved, I encourage you to join the following three events at the beginning of the school year. For returning families, please note that we have revamped what was currently known as the Opening Coffee, and there will no longer be a program in Centennial Hall. Mark your calendars now for the following:
- Virtual Opening Coffee – Tuesday, September 12 at 9 am: Dial in to learn more about the HSPA and to hear from our Head of School, Tyler Casertano. This is also a great chance to learn about our September events. Call details will be provided in the September 6th HSPA Notes (our weekly newsletter) and social media channels.
- HSPA Event Expo – Friday, September 15 from 8-9 am: Stop by after drop-off for a cup of coffee and meet all the event chairs for the year. This event is informational and fun, allowing you to determine the best place to lend your talents. There will be a chance to break into groups with your class parent, connect with other parents in your grade, and learn what is in store for your son’s grade for the year, including your grade-level HSPA project/event.
- HSPA Party for a Purpose Volunteer Meeting – September 22 at 8:30 am at Palmer House: Our biggest fundraiser of the year is the perfect place to get involved, and we have opportunities to help even if you have minimal time during the day. This is your chance to be part of something amazing. Stop by to learn more about the event.
We offer many other ways to stay connected and get involved throughout the year.
- Be on the lookout for monthly class letters from your class parents, and do not hesitate to contact them with questions about the school or the HSPA.
- Read our weekly HSPA Notes newsletter, sent via email each Wednesday.
- Join our monthly Parents Plugged-in virtual calls on the second Tuesday of each month.
- Follow the HSPA on Facebook and Instagram.
- Visit the HSPA Website to learn about all the events planned for the year.
- Sign-up to volunteer at one of our events or one of our committees.
I encourage you to stay connected and consider joining our Teamwork of volunteers! From the Party for a Purpose, Haverford/EA Day, Hav-Afford Recycle Sale, Teacher Appreciation Luncheon, and many more events, getting involved is easy. We welcome you to be part of our community and make a difference. Last year, the HSPA raised over $400,000 to improve the Haverford experience for our excellent teachers and our boys, and I cannot wait to see what we accomplish together this year.
Before I sign off, I want to invite each Haverford Family to the HSPA’s biggest (and most fun) night of the year. This year’s Party for a Purpose will be held on Saturday, February 3, 2024, at the Ballroom at Ellis Preserve. It will include fantastic auction items and experiences, fabulous food and drink, entertainment, and a memorable night.
I can’t wait to see all of you at the HSPA Event Expo, one of the virtual Parents Plugged In meetings, or around campus at our many special events, all run by the best volunteers on the Main Line and beyond.
Enjoy every moment of your summer and I will see you in September!
Iris DiBernardo, P’28
2023-2024 HSPA Chair
Photos from many of our HSPA events and other school events can be found on the school’s Smugmug account!
You can stay in the know by syncing the school calendar to your own or by opting in to receive email notifications and reminders! Here’s how:
To receive email updates before events that you choose, click on the BELL icon on the right hand side of this page. A pop-up window will ask you to log in (use your MyBackPack login information). It will then bring you to a “Manage Calendar Subscription” window. There you can check off which calendars you’re interested in and then confirm how soon before each event you’d like to receive a reminder email. The system defaults to 18 hours prior, but we recommend you change it to at least “1 Day” so you’re not scrambling the night before! Click “Update Settings” and you are good to go!
To sync your calendar, you’ll want to use the RSS icon from this same page. The RSS icon is to the left of the bell icon and looks sort of like sound waves.