Welcome to the Haverford’s Upper School, a thoughtful and exciting place for a young man to learn and grow. Here, we focus on the wide range of skills, both academic and social, that are necessary for success in a rigorous college program. We are dedicated to graduating young men who are prepared to be moral, ethical and productive contributors to our society. Powerful learning experiences, both formal and informal, take place in classrooms, hallways, studios, labs, and on athletics fields every day.
In the Upper School:
- Teachers are well-versed in the art and science of classroom instruction, are dedicated to ongoing pursuit of their academic disciplines, and are fully appreciative of the power of close teacher-student relationships to affect learning.
- Our classes offer the hands-on, up-on-your feet, collaborative problem-solving exercises that boys enjoy and the structured direction and clear expectations that they need.
- Core study in six major disciplines is complemented by elective offerings such as Engineering, Electronics, Economics, Software Programming, The Modern Middle East, Molecular Biology, and Journalism, to name but a few.
- Time designated for extra help, small classes, an advisory program, and the Enrichment and Learning Center helps each student realize his full potential.
- Our student-run Honor Council ensures that our Honor Code is a vital and educational presence in the lives of the boys.
- We eschew any single definition of a Haverford man. He is a scholar, an athlete, an artist, a performer, a servant, a leader, and a friend.
- Students on the Model UN, Mock Trial, Debate, and Robotics teams regularly earn regional and national honors. Our student newspaper The Index and student literary magazine Pegasus are similarly decorated.