Seven seniors at The Haverford School presented science research projects at the 11th annual Research Symposium. The students, who are part of the Advanced Research Laboratory Cooperative elective at Haverford, completed their research at the University of Pennsylvania, Drexel University, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, and other laboratories over the course of six-to-eight weeks in the summer of 2018. The topics of their college-level research included analyzing gene expression data, the possibility of conditioning the brain against severe injuries, the efficacy of a gene therapy used to treat Familial Hypercholesterolemia, and more.
Welcome to the Haverford’s Upper School, a thoughtful and exciting place for a young man to learn and grow.
Here, we focus on the wide range of skills, both academic and social, that are necessary for success in a rigorous college program. We are dedicated to graduating young men who are prepared to be moral, ethical and productive contributors to our society. Powerful learning experiences, both formal and informal, take place in classrooms, hallways, studios, labs, and on athletics fields every day.
In the Upper School:
- Teachers are well-versed in the art and science of classroom instruction, are dedicated to ongoing pursuit of their academic disciplines, and are fully appreciative of the power of close teacher-student relationships to affect learning.
- Our classes offer the hands-on, up-on-your feet, collaborative problem-solving exercises that boys enjoy and the structured direction and clear expectations that they need.
- Core study in six major disciplines is complemented by elective offerings such as Engineering, Electronics, Economics, Software Programming, The Modern Middle East, Modern Black Lives, Music Production and Recording, Molecular Biology, and Environmental Ethics, to name but a few.
- Time designated for extra help, small classes, an advisory program, and the Enrichment and Learning Center helps each student realize his full potential.
- Our student-run Honor Council ensures that our Honor Code is a vital and educational presence in the lives of the boys.
- We eschew any single definition of a Haverford man. He is a scholar, an athlete, an artist, a performer, a servant, a leader, and a friend.
- Students on the Model UN, Mock Trial, Debate, and Robotics teams regularly earn regional and national honors. Our student newspaper The Index and student literary magazine Pegasus are similarly decorated.
By Amy Joyce, The Washington Post
Photo credit: Calla Kessler
"Boys have been raised in a culture that puts them into a very distinct box, based on stereotypes that have persisted for hundreds of years, says Michael Reichert, a psychologist at the all-boys Haverford School in Philadelphia. “The boys are not the problem,” he says. “It’s the model.” Read the Washington Post story >
Dr. Reichert is Haverford's spring 2019 Best for Boys Speaker Series presenter. Learn more >
The Haverford School hosted its second annual poetry slam, sponsored by the Black Student Union, on Thursday, Dec. 6 in Ball Auditorium.