The Haverford School has closed Character at Our Core, a comprehensive fundraising campaign designed to build upon the School’s expertise in the art and science of educating boys, complete a new Middle School building that supports 21st century pedagogy, and continue to build a diverse and inclusive community that is prepared to contribute to life beyond the School.
Welcome to the Haverford’s Upper School, a thoughtful and exciting place for a young man to learn and grow.
Here, we focus on the wide range of skills, both academic and social, that are necessary for success in a rigorous college program. We are dedicated to graduating young men who are prepared to be moral, ethical and productive contributors to our society. Powerful learning experiences, both formal and informal, take place in classrooms, hallways, studios, labs, and on athletics fields every day.
In the Upper School:
- Teachers are well-versed in the art and science of classroom instruction, are dedicated to ongoing pursuit of their academic disciplines, and are fully appreciative of the power of close teacher-student relationships to affect learning.
- Our classes offer the hands-on, up-on-your feet, collaborative problem-solving exercises that boys enjoy and the structured direction and clear expectations that they need.
- Core study in six major disciplines is complemented by elective offerings such as Engineering, Electronics, Economics, Software Programming, The Modern Middle East, Modern Black Lives, Music Production and Recording, Molecular Biology, and Environmental Ethics, to name but a few.
- Time designated for extra help, small classes, an advisory program, and the Enrichment and Learning Center helps each student realize his full potential.
- Our student-run Honor Council ensures that our Honor Code is a vital and educational presence in the lives of the boys.
- We eschew any single definition of a Haverford man. He is a scholar, an athlete, an artist, a performer, a servant, a leader, and a friend.
- Students on the Model UN, Mock Trial, Debate, and Robotics teams regularly earn regional and national honors. Our student newspaper The Index and student literary magazine Pegasus are similarly decorated.
The Haverford School inducted 22 students into the Cum Laude Society in a virtual ceremony on May 27, 2020. This was the School’s 90th induction ceremony, and celebrates the School’s first and founding purpose: to educate young men in accordance with high standards of scholarship that will imbue them with an aspiration for and appreciation of intellectual excellence throughout their lives.
Upper School science teacher Will Leech shared various science experiments that can be done at home with products you may have on hand. Remember to use safety precautions where necessary, such as using googles and having an adult present.