Welcome to our Middle School. In Crosman Hall we build boys into men, challenging them academically, artistically, and athletically as they grow in intelligence, creativity, and strength.
A daily assortment of liberal arts classes, mixed with the fine arts and sports, create a well-rounded boy who begins to find his aptitudes and where he fits in the world. Thinkers and doers, these young men are encouraged to take risks and make mistakes in a safe, supportive, and caring environment as we prepare them for the next step, high school.
We are proud of the relationships we build with families and students. These relationships foster a community of respect and kindness. By respecting all individuals and modeling kindness to our students, we observe greater empathy and support.
Beginning in fall 2020, our boys' learning will be enhanced through a new 32,000+ square foot Middle School, purpose-built for adolescent boys. Learn more >
More about Haverford's Middle School:
- Our teachers are professionals in understanding and meeting the needs of the adolescent boy. They are kind, patient, and focused on building relationships and encouraging students to engage in their learning.
- Middle school boys love to move. From class to recess to sports, our boys are active and we use their energy to promote learning through doing.
- A liberal arts curriculum includes studies in English, mathematics, American and world history, science, Spanish, Latin, 2D and 3D art, multi-media, theater, music, and health and physical education. In the spring, eighth grade students choose an elective such as marketing, finance, leadership, philosophy, Chinese, or programming.
- Managing expectations and learning organization techniques are also a part of our curriculum as part of our continued focus on character education and development.
- Middle School is a great place to try new things, take risks, and make mistakes. Whether in the classroom, the stage, the field, or even a school dance, we want our boys to be courageous and make what seems impossible, possible.
- Activities outside the classroom and fieldhouse include a world-ranked robotics program, award-winning choirs, outstanding musical productions, MathCounts, Reading Olympics, Math Olympiad, Model UN, INK - our Middle School diversity group, the Middle School newspaper Crosman Chronicles, Arduino, and leadership programs like Student Council, House Council, and Peer Mediation.
Browse the navigation to learn more about our Middle School and its best-for-boys curriculum and program. You'll get to know our Head of Middle School, a graduate of the Class of 1983; find information about our sixth, seventh, and eighth grade academics; and see how we're building men of character through our signature leadership, service learning, and global studies initiatives. Situated outside Philadelphia, this private middle school for boys will help your son become his best self.
The Haverford School has closed Character at Our Core, a comprehensive fundraising campaign designed to build upon the School’s expertise in the art and science of educating boys, complete a new Middle School building that supports 21st century pedagogy, and continue to build a diverse and inclusive community that is prepared to contribute to life beyond the School.
The Haverford School conducted its 136th Commencement exercises with a virtual celebration on June 5. The celebration honored the School’s 113 graduates, who marked the occasion with their families away from campus.