Data compiler Niche.com has just released its list of 2021 Top Schools in America, and The Haverford School ranked as the No. 1 Best All-Boys High School in the state of Pennsylvania.
Welcome to our Middle School. We build boys into men, challenging them academically, artistically, and athletically as they grow in intelligence, creativity, and strength.
A daily assortment of liberal arts classes, mixed with the fine arts and sports, create a well-rounded boy who begins to find his aptitudes and where he fits in the world. Thinkers and doers, these young men are encouraged to take risks and make mistakes in a safe, supportive, and caring environment as we prepare them for the next step, high school.
We are proud of the relationships we build with families and students. These relationships foster a community of respect and kindness. By respecting all individuals and modeling kindness to our students, we observe greater empathy and support.
Beginning in fall 2020, our boys' learning will be enhanced through a new 32,000+ square foot Middle School, purpose-built for adolescent boys. Learn more >
More about Haverford's Middle School:
- Our teachers are professionals in understanding and meeting the needs of the adolescent boy. They are kind, patient, and focused on building relationships and encouraging students to engage in their learning.
- Middle school boys love to move. From class to recess to sports, our boys are active and we use their energy to promote learning through doing.
- A liberal arts curriculum includes studies in English, mathematics, American and world history, science, Spanish, Latin, 2D and 3D art, multi-media, theater, music, and health and physical education. In the spring, eighth grade students choose an elective such as marketing, finance, leadership, philosophy, Chinese, or programming.
- Managing expectations and learning organization techniques are also a part of our curriculum as part of our continued focus on character education and development.
- Middle School is a great place to try new things, take risks, and make mistakes. Whether in the classroom, the stage, the field, or even a school dance, we want our boys to be courageous and make what seems impossible, possible.
- Activities outside the classroom and fieldhouse include a world-ranked robotics program, award-winning choirs, outstanding musical productions, MathCounts, Reading Olympics, Math Olympiad, Model UN, INK - our Middle School diversity group, the Middle School newspaper Crosman Chronicles, Arduino, and leadership programs like Student Council, House Council, and Peer Mediation.
Browse the navigation to learn more about our Middle School and its best-for-boys curriculum and program. You'll get to know our Head of Middle School, a graduate of the Class of 1983; find information about our sixth, seventh, and eighth grade academics; and see how we're building men of character through our signature leadership, service learning, and global studies initiatives. Situated outside Philadelphia, this private middle school for boys will help your son become his best self.
In early February, the Haverford School community hosted the Fords vs. Cancer event during a varsity basketball game against Germantown Academy. The event raised funds for the Children’s Hospital of Pennsylvania’s (CHOP). This summer, a check for $10,000 was delivered to CHOP with the intention of continuing research and the fight against Osteosarcoma, a type of cancer.
A part of the Middle School music curriculum for several years, all Form I and Form II boys are learning to play guitar this school year. Form II students are taking lessons this fall, and Form I boys will be learning about the instrument in the spring. Boys have music class three times a week.