Principles of Community
The Haverford School is committed to creating a supportive, inclusive, and diverse community that advances the School’s mission, helps develop the essential qualities of a Haverford School graduate, and prepares each boy for life beyond Haverford.
The Haverford School community is built on trust and respect for one another.
A fundamental principle of The Haverford School community is individual responsibility. All members of our community – students, teachers, administrators, parents, and alumni – should consider and account for the moral and legal implications of their conduct, have the courage to do what is right, and accept responsibility for their actions.
All of us should strive to:
- Treat others honestly, fairly, respectfully, and courteously
- Practice empathy, compassion, and generosity of spirit
- Strive for inclusiveness by avoiding cliques and snobbery
- Discourage and refrain from verbal abuse and bullying
- Reject superficiality, materialism, and a sense of entitlement
- Work together to find commonalities and resolve disagreements amicably
- Celebrate the many ways boys and young men learn, think, and succeed
- Create a community where illegal or abusive drug and alcohol use is not tolerated
- Promote citizenship and advance the greater good for our community and the world around us
- Participate in the life of the School by supporting Haverford’s programs and personnel
- Understand and embrace the School’s mission and vision and work together as partners to educate our boys for life
- Communicate openly, honestly, and constructively with each other and at the appropriate level and, following such dialogue, abide by the School’s decision
Haverford believes that a diverse and inclusive community is a better learning environment, and prepares our boys for the world they will face upon graduation.
We expect a community in which a diverse population can live and work in an atmosphere of trust, understanding, appreciation, and mutual respect for each individual. We reject all prejudices, particularly those based on race, ethnicity, national origin, culture, religion, socioeconomic status, gender, learning styles, disability, age, or sexual orientation.
The Haverford School, a nonsectarian college preparatory school for pre-kindergarten through grade 12, provides a superior liberal arts education for qualified boys of differing backgrounds. We are committed to developing the full intellectual, artistic, athletic, and moral potential in each boy, and we aim to graduate young men with strong character who possess a passion for learning and the necessary problem-solving skills to make a difference in the world. The Haverford School prepares boys for life.