During Xcursion Days in Middle School, students and faculty team up to explore a range of topics, skills, and interests both on-campus and off. Xcursion Days were held in December and offered 17 different courses, including:
- Woodworking: learning how to use basic hand tools and small power tools; understanding different types of wood
- Personal finance: learning about budgeting, credit cards, retirement, and mortgages, complete with a visit to a local bank
- Cooking in Ecuador: shopping and preparing a traditional Ecuadorian meal
- Terrariums, bird feeders, and birdhouses: using recycled materials to design, plan and build different items. This Xcursion includes a trip to Willistown Conservation Trust to study birds, plants, and ecosystems.
- Photography and art roadshow: visiting the city of Philadelphia to photograph and sketch the architecture, people, and sights that make up our community
- Creative noisemaking: listening to vintage and modern music to learn the science of sound, visiting a local music store, and doing some open-ended noisemaking with pedals and instruments
- Crosman Hall documentary: learning the art of documentary filmmaking and taking on the role of journalist, interviewing current and former faculty and staff from our community. You can see the finished product on our vimeo channel >
A highlight reel from the day is included below.