The Haverford School celebrated its 138th Commencement ceremony on June 10 in the School’s Field House. The School graduated 107 students before a crowd of family, friends, faculty, and alumni. Twenty-eight percent of the graduating class has attended Haverford since pre-kindergarten or kindergarten.
Those gathered for the ceremony heard the commencement address from Ravindra “Ravi” A. Reddy ’90, the founder of Citistructure LLC and a member of the School’s Board of Trustees. Remarks were also made by Chair of the Board of Trustees Maurice Glavin ’82, P’14 ’16 ’20, Head of School Tyler Casertano, and Student Body President Mitav Nayak. Haverford’s a cappella group, The Notables, performed during the ceremony.
Of the 107 members of the class, 17% received National Merit Scholar recognition. The national average for National Merit Scholar recognition is 4%. 91% of the graduating class got into one of their top three colleges.
Five students were presented with prestigious awards during the ceremony, including:
- The Daniel S. Newhall II 1920 Plaque was awarded to the student with the highest academic standing in the class among the winners of the School letter in any branch of sport. The award was presented to Mitav Nayak.
- The Frank C. Roberts III Cup was given to the member of the class who showed true sportsmanship in working and playing squarely, in being a good loser and graceful winner, and in making and keeping friends. The Roberts Cup was awarded to Edward J. Malone.
- The Alumni Association Key Man Award was presented to the senior who has demonstrated outstanding traits of character, scholarship, intelligence, and leadership, as well as enthusiasm for all School activities. Mitav Nayak was named the Key Man for the Class of 2022.
- The Frederick C. Peters II ’68 Prize was awarded to the student whose leadership has made the School happier for his presence and whose service to Haverford has inspired his fellow students to be better citizens. The Peters Prize was awarded to John Zhang.
- The Phi Beta Kappa Association of Philadelphia Award honors the graduate who excels in his scholastic record and who possesses inherent character and integrity. Jeffrey Qianliang Yang was presented with this award.