We focus on the wide range of skills, both academic and social, that are necessary for success in a rigorous college program, but more importantly, we are dedicated to graduating young men who are prepared to be moral, ethical and productive contributors to our society. Powerful learning experiences, both formal and informal, take place in classrooms, hallways, studios, labs, and on athletics fields every day.
In the Upper School:
- Teachers are well-versed in the art and science of effective classroom instruction, are dedicated to ongoing scholarly pursuit of their academic disciplines, and are fully appreciative of the power of close teacher-student relationships to affect learning.
- The curriculum offers the kind of hands-on, up-on-your feet, collaborative problem-solving exercises that boys enjoy while at the same time providing the structured direction and clear expectations that they need.
- Core study in six major disciplines is complemented by elective offerings such as Engineering, Electronics, Economics, Software Engineering, The Modern Middle East, Social Psychology, Multimedia Design, New Journalism, and Mathematics of Finance.
- Time built into the day for students to meet with teachers for extra help, small class sizes, an advisory program, and a staffed enrichment and learning center help students realize their full potential.
- The boys are the soul and stewards of the School. Each year and every day, we look to them to enact their collective vision of our school. A student run honor council ensures that our Honor Code is a vital and educational presence in the lives of the boys.
- There is no single definition of a Haverford man. He is a scholar, an athlete, an artist, a performer, a servant, a leader, and a friend.
- Not all of our competitive teams are part of the athletics program. Students on the Model UN, Mock Trial, Debate, Robotics, Quiz Bowl, and DECA teams regularly earn regional and national honors.
- Community is important. Whether at assembly, reflections, advisory, clubs, or community awareness, we build time into every day to nurture our school culture.